October was a month of changes and new beginnings.
This was the first full month I had after officially graduating and navigating my newfound free time was.. interesting. Looking back, it feels like I haven’t done much but I also know that I’ve done a little bit of many things.
In Real Life
I started working on a big 2020 goal! I had very few goals this year as it is but I haven’t really worked on any of them until now. The biggest ones were to socialize more (failed due to COVID-19) and try new hobbies.
Now that I finally have more free time and have decided to slow down on blogging, I used my free time to actually try new things. I got a graphic tablet recently so I decided to truly try my hand at digital art. It’s coming along quite nicely and I love it.
Another new thing is YouTube! I’ve been toying with the idea of making videos for a while now and finally kickstarted it with my Notion tour. It’s been fun so far and I’m looking forward to see what all I can do with it. Do check out my YouTube channel! (and subscribe pleaseee)
I also got to meet my friends (for the first time since March) and IT WAS SO NICE. I met my college friends last week and school friends this week. According to normal standards, we didn’t do much but it meant a lot and really improved my overall mood.
My ARCs took a back seat while I (desperately) tried to do my best at multiple readathons and challenges. I will probably make a separate blog post (or video???) with my October reading wrap-up because I have things to say.
I totally read 18 books this month!! The number includes multiple rereads which I needed as comfort reads.
I (finally) started cleaning up my old blog posts. This blog started under a different name with wildly different content and they still exist on this blog for the public. I kept putting cleanup off because it is a huge job. Since I became organized with Notion recently, I finally decided to start the purge and delete old blog posts. A lot of those posts are super cringey and I HATE that they were public until now.
The purge is not done yet because it is a huge task which I’m chipping at slowly. As of now, I’ve deleted about 160 posts and there is much more to be done.
Top posts (that went up in October):
My post with tips on Notion is the most popular post of October and I’m super proud of that. A lot people also commented saying its helpful and.. that was my goal so I’m happy.
Notion posts are popping off haha. My Notion Workspace Tour started as a blog post and eventually became a blog post + video combo which was the beginning of my YouTube channel. My Notion setup is really pretty, if I can say so myself, so do check it out if you haven’t!
This discussion post was the highlight of my blogging in October, in my opinion, because it took the most time to write. It took about two weeks to go from the first draft to the final blog post, and I’m happy with how it turned out.
October was a month of GREAT blog posts and choosing what to share here is HARD. If I include all the posts that I liked, this blog post will never end haha. I’m making myself stick to 10 posts, but know that there were many others which I loved.
- Alison wrote an important discussion about fatphobia in books.
- Gardee discusses When Does Fatness Get to be Visible.
- Malka wrote about Why Reading “Mindless” Books Is So Important to Her.
- Fadwa shared a list of over 80 books with asexual main characters.
- Clo posted Ways To Improve Your Book Blog To Gain Followers, Increase Engagement & Tips For Small Book Blogs.
- Mel discusses why people think bloggers shouldn’t get paid.
- Cielo posted the ultimate guide to requesting ARCs.
- Molly wrote a wonderful discussion on insecurities about blogging voice.
- Emmie shares what book blogging costs her.
Other Internet Highlights
- I hit 1k followers on Twitter!!!!! It’s a huge number and getting followers on Twitter is hard, especially with my very random tweets, so this is huge.
- My YouTube crossed 50 subscribers!! Also over a 100 views on my first 2 videos! Considering I’m new and my videos are of sub-par quality right now, this is too much and I’m very grateful.
- Anandi and Gargee are hosting a really cool readathon!
- Sanjana/Shiri also started a YouTube channel this month.
- Cindy posted a hilarious video essay about Kissing the Coronavirus and you HAVE to watch it.
- Tammie had a casual chat with R. F. Kuang and it’s so nice.
- There’s a Taylor Swift readathon happening!!
October Goals Wrap-up
- Set up Notion for all my digital and blog use. ✅
- Read 2 books for the 2020 Popsugar Reading Challenge. ✅ Finished with a couple days to spare lol.
- Work on Blogletters! Finish everything with batch 2 of interviews. ✅ DONE I’M SO GLAD. Also very excited for y’all to see them all.
- Read 2 paperbacks. ✅
- Read 2 paperbacks.
- Finish purging old blog posts until 2017.
- Cross off 2 prompts on the 2020 Popsugar Reading Challenge.
- Read at least 4 ARCs!!! I’m so behind oof.
I’m really proud of all the things I did this month. Specifically, I’m happy that I wrote really good blog posts and also started new hobbies. Fingers crossed for a great November as well!
How was you October? Did you start anything new?