2019 was my year of romance reading.
Over the last few years, the number of romance books I read has been slowly increasing. This year, my favourite genre changed from Fantasy to Romance. Or maybe it changed late last year but I only came to terms with it in 2019.
Since I was all into Adult Romance, I gobbled up romance books A LOT. My Goodreads challenge has very few books which are not in the Adult Romance genre. As I read so many of them, I thought I’d share my favourites with y’all.
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday prompt is a freebie, so we’re free to post any top 10 list of ours. And I’m so glad because I can’t join in on any of the Christmas lists haha.
Note: most of these are Adult Romances and contain various degrees of explicit scenes.
 Rafe by Rebekan Weatherspoon
I read this book only recently and it has SWOOPED into my favourites easily, destroying the chance for any other book. This book was SO GOOD. I’m still reeling from that reading experience.
- Awesome chemistry.
- Cute AF six year old.
- BREAKING GENDER STEREOTYPES.
- Being understanding and respectable about boundaries!!!
- ADULTS ACTING LIKE RESPONSIBLE ADULTS.
- Slow and true relationship growth.
I read that book twice in the span of a month. After my first read, I read two other books, but then this was just too good and nothing else compared so I HAD to reread it.
 Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan
This is too good to not be one of the top picks. I knew when I was reading the book that it would make into my top reads of 2019. It deserves more talk and more recognition.
- SO MUCH MORE THAN ROMANCE.
- Will definitely break your heart at least once.
- Domestic abuse rep.
- HARD TO READ.
- The romance is so worth it, though.
- STRONG CHARACTERS.
- Major trigger warnings!!!! (mentioned in my review)
 RED, WHITE & ROYAL BLUE BY CASEY MCQUISTON
Honestly, is there ANY surprise that this is included in my list?
- Very strong characters.
- T H E R O M A N C E.
- It’s suuuuuper gay and chaotic.
- BRITISH PRINCE AND FIRST SON OF AMERICA!
- Cute as heck.
- The banter between the characters is highly entertaining.
- YOU SHOULD READ IT.
 The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary
Yoo this book will NOT get out of my head. It’s been so long since I read it, and it still pops up in my thoughts like ?? What is that effect? The plot is ah-mazing.
- OPPOSITES ATTRACT.
- They share an apartment, and a bed, but have never met.
- CUUTE ROMANCE.
- Conversations via sticky notes around the house!!
- A+ CHARACTERS.
- Finding long lost love!!!
- An adorable meddling 5 year old.
- GREAT CHEMISTRY.
- Content warnings mentioned in my review.
 The Friend Zone by Abby Jiminez
This. Book. It gave me way too many feels, and broke my heart a little too much before saving me. A really really nice romance book with a well thought-out plot.
- STRONG FEMALE LEAD.
- Female lead has uterine fibroids, and we see it affecting her life in detail.
- FRIENDS TO LOVERS.
- Open-minded and understanding male lead.
- AWESOMESAUCE CHEMISTRY.
 FUMBLED BY ALEXA MARTIN
Alexa Martin is an author whom I discovered this year and am LOVING her work. Fumbled was my first book of hers and I’m sure I’ll read many more.
- HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS.
- A super cute 10 year old!
- Perfect for fans of football.
- FRIENDS GOALS.
- Just is a very fun read.
 HEARTACHE & HOPE BY JAY MCLEAN
Okay so I actually did not write a full review for this because I binge read both the books in this duet in less than two days. After that, I was just reeling from the effects and my heart needed TIME. Then I just couldn’t not form proper sentences for this book.
- WILL BREAK YOUR HEART. Definitely. For sure.
- Heartache and Hope. The title says it all. It’ll break you, fix you back, and repeat.
- HIGH SCHOOL LOVE.
- A really good plot. And so unique.
- VAR VETERAN REP. PTSD REP. DISABILITY REP.
- Honestly, all the representations were brilliant. The female lead’s mum suffers from PTSD after being a PoW. It’s.. a lot to take in.
- You will need time to heal after this duet.
- WORTH IT.
Advised to read content warnings before picking up the book.
 FAKE IT TILL YOU BREAK IT BY JENN P. NGUYEN
This is the only Young Adult book in this list. It’s technically contemporary but it’s pretty much romance so I’m counting it.
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS TROPE.
- In a different way, it’s also kind of friends-to-lovers trope.
- FAKE DATING TROPE.
- The characters are awesome.
- ADORABLE AF RELATIONSHIP.
- It’s a light and very fun read.
 THE UNHONEYMOONERS BY CHRISTINA LAUREN
Christina Lauren have smoothed into my favourite Romance authors list. So of course one of their books would be in this list.
- Perfect vacation read.
- Or just for a chill afternoon.
- ENEMIES TO LOVERS TROPE.
- The plot was really nice.
- HILARIOUS BANTER.
- Cool characters.
- WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH.
 FOREVER RIGHT NOW BY EMMA SCOTT
When I found and picked up this book, I didn’t have many expectations. I just read it, and it was okay. But by the time I finished the book, it really made an impact on me. I spent days just thinking about it. After a while, I reread it and liked it even more.
This is one of those books which sneaks up on you and you don’t even realise when it becomes one of your favourites.
- ALCOHOLIC RECOVERY REP.
- A strong female lead, who I’m honestly inspired by.
- She’s also very compassionate.
- SINGLE DAD TROPE.
- The characters in this book were A+.
- SLOW-BURN ROMANCE.
- Emotional and sweet.
- MAKES A LASTING IMPRESSION.
And those were my top romance reads of the year! (so far haha)
What were your favourite reads of 2019? Have you read any of these books? If you’ve done today’s Top Ten Tuesday, leave your links below!