Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Category: Young Adult
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.
Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.
I’ve seen The Night Circus talk online for a looooong time and when I saw the (beautiful) paperback, I HAD to get it I’m also getting my fantasy mojo back (after a LONG time) so this is the perfect time.
I have to say, I’M SO GLAD I READ THE BOOK. Oh my gosh. It’s the most magical book I’ve ever read. No competition whatsoever. Want a book with magic? Poof, here you go The Night Circus that will show you what you SHOULD be dreaming about. Because let me tell you, this story goes way beyond our best dreams.
Two frenemies Prospero the Enchanter and Alexander find two gifted children and pit them against each other in a challenge. The challenge will have a common venue and each are supposed to show off their best talents and try hard. They must NOT interfere with each other.
This book follows the two children from the time their talents were found and we see their lives.
The common venue is The Night Circus. An enchanting circus that travels the world, whose paths no one knows, charming hearts all over. The Night Circus is something so magical that it becomes all the visitors’ dreams which they never want to leave.
What I liked:
Okay but really.
- THE MAIN CHARACTERS GUYS. Celia and Marco were such great main characters! I honestly adore them.
- The supporting characters were equally as brilliant and I was blown away?? Especially Bailey, Poppet and Widget who were more focused. I loved everyone!
- Cirque de Reves. The author weaves words magnificently and I felt as if I was experiencing the magic of The Night Circus myself. Damn it’s so good.
- The IDEA. What a great idea?? Hats off to the author for coming up with this world because it’s so E N C H A N T I N G.
- CELIA BOWEN. What a great character. I loved her spunk and personality. I just love her so muchhhhhhhhh.
- MARCO ALISDAIR. Also what a great character. I adored his determination and the way he expressed his emotions. He went after what he wanted and he’s so charming and I just love him so much toooooooo.
- The reveurs. They love The Night Circus like it’s their life and they follow it and love it so much. I just loved how the love for Cirque de Reves brought people together. It’s basically a fandom.
I don’t think I can say more because these main things make up the story but there’s also so much that I’d just keep going on and on about tiny facts too.
In the beginning I wished that it was more fast paced because I couldn’t get into the story. But after a while it set the mood and I wouldn’t have changed it at all.
I definitely recommend it but maybe rethink reading it if you don’t like slow books.