Title: Neanderthal Seeks Human
Author: Penny Reid
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Status: Book 1 of Knitting in the City, but can be read as a Standalone
There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn’t know how to knit.
After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can’t help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can’t afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can’t refuse.
Knitting in the City is a series of 7 main books, each following the story of a different couple where the female main characters are all part of a knitting club. The books can be read in order or as standalones.
If I had to read only one romance book for the rest of my life, I would pick this book. No hesitation. In fact, I reread this book around a week after reading it for the first time. I simply could NOT go to another romance after this gem.
I lost it in the bathroom.
With that first line, I was hooked into the book.
We start with Janie on the worst day of her life. She caught her boyfriend cheating, therefore she’ll have to move out and figure out where to go, and she also got fired from her job. It’s also one of her best days because she talks to Quinn AKA “Sir McHotpants” for the first time.
It’s a swooning and humourous romance story with two MCs who are like no other.
I feel like I’ve been waiting to write about the characters ever since I finished reading the book for the first time.
A small list about Janie
- She’s part of the Knitting club but doesn’t actually know to knit. She’s there for the bond and friendships.
- She knows a LOT of facts.
- She has a tendency to share these facts at any and every point of time—more so when she’s nervous or unsettled. People get taken aback by this a lot. Hence making her feel like she’s weird.
My true friends softened the label by insisting I was merely well-read
- She likes to spend time alone and is usually a little emotionally distant in all relationships.
- She HATES cell phones.
- She’s amazingly smart.
- SHE IS AWESOME.
A small list about Quinn
- He’s a covert big-shot. He owns a commercial and private security business.
- He is very hot. Hence the nickname.
- He’s quite self-depreciating.
- He genuinely makes an effort for the people he cares about AKA Janie.
- He rarely smiles or talks. Except to Janie.
- He doesn’t like anyone or anything. Except Janie.
- He’s the best.
Oh my heart. I could cry. I love this romance so much.
Quinn and Janie are PERFECT as a couple.
Janie is genuinely caring and it’s in a way that Quinn likes and doesn’t get put off by. She brings him out of his shell. She asks questions and says things like facts and without ANY judgement. Janie listens to one’s story and looks at the best of people. She doesn’t get held up by someone’s past. She’s ADORABLY supportive and consoling, because she does this in her own way. I just.. I love her so much.
Quinn is genuinely interested in her trivial facts and often even asks questions so she’ll say more. Whereas everyone else either get weird (except her friends, of course), he ASKS her for them. He listens intently and THIS MAKES ME CRY, OKAY? The first time he did it, I clutched my heart and swoooooooooned away. He’s my fictional crush of 2017.
They make each other laugh. They are two halves of a whole. I could pray to their relationship because I have such a deep appreciation for it, you have no idea.
You should DEFINITELY read this book if you love:
- reading about unique characters
- different and fresh stories
- books that make you squeal
- books that make you swoon
- to be swept off your feet by fictional love
Do I need to say more? 11/10 recommend.