Title: A Conjuring of Light
Author: V. E. Schwab
Genre: YA fantasy
Status: 3rd (and last) book of Shades of Magic trilogy
Witness the fate of beloved heroes – and enemies.
THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED…
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.
WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell – once assumed to be the last surviving Antari – begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?
WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace – but never common – thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.
WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.
INCLUDES SOME SPOILERS FOR A DARKER SHAKE OF MAGIC (BOOK ONE) AND A GATHERING OF SHADOWS (BOOK TWO).
When I sat down to write this book, my thoughts were a MESS. Firstly, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MOVE ON?! LIKE, IT’S OVER. And two, I’m so glad it’s over because it was SO DARN GOOD. I’m really glad I held off reading the trilogy until a couple months back, so I didn’t have to wait long to read ACOL.
The book picks off immediately after AGOS ended. As that ending felt like the beginning of a climax scene (which made the cliffhanger so hard to live with), the beginning of ACOL was the climax. Honestly, with such an eventful first 100 pages or so, during which my heart was beating slowly and heavily, I really wondered how the actual “climax scene”/ending would be. (I wasn’t disappointed)
I LOVED the plot. The way things developed, both sides of the war trying to best each other, the romantic development, EVERYTHING surrounding the three Antaris (come on, we knew Lila was one too) etc. Gotta give it to Schwab, she’s come up with one hell of a story, and written it beautifully.
Plots like this is why I love books so much. Life just does not matter.
Also, the one constant that I LOVE throughout the books is Kell and Rhy’s relationship. That brotherhood is GOALS. ❤
- Kell: I liked him before, and I like him now. But I don’t have a favouritism towards him. He’s one of the main characters that I simply read through (comparitively). He did have quite a bit of character development though.
- Lila: Best badass female MC ever. Pirate, Antari, theif. She was my favourite character throughout the trilogy (although marginally, after the last one). I loved her zest, sass, everything. Watching her grow into her true self was the best.
- Holland: I disliked him before, but I suppose that was because we mostly saw him through other characters’ eyes. In ACOL, we get to know so much more about him and I started liking him more than Kell. Holland’s character arc is BEAUT.
- Rhy: He was charming, as usual, but after events of ADSOM, we get to see a different side of him which only comes from hard life experiences. He wasn’t very prominent before because it felt like he was there just in relation to Kell. But in AGOS, he’s finally shown as a person of his own with talents and decision making. Way more so in ACOL. The one thing I like most about him is how much he cares for Kell and has finally come to his senses about not being selfish.
- Alucard: Oh, I’ve been WAITING to talk about him. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED him. His charm, talent, brains, personality, struggles—everything. I wish he played more of an important part in the story just so I could read more of him.
The amount of romance was appropriate. Not more for a fantasy book in the middle of a war, but not so less either that we’d wonder or complain.
- Kell and Lila: Their relationship was so cute. They kept their attention on their goals and didn’t get carried away with each other, keeping worldly-problems, like so many other couples in books. They only kissed for most of the book. I loved that their pace was unhurried and yet they acknowledged the chemistry between them.
- Rhy and Alucard: FAVOURITE COUPLE. OMG. SO ADORBS. When I first read about them in AGOS, my mouth was gaping open. Since then, I just started shipping them more and more. I LOVED THESE TWO. Their romance, chemistry, history and just them together! SO perfect. I definitely like them as a couple more than Kell and Lila. THEY’RE JUST SO DARN ADORABLE AND CUTE. LIKE, YES GIMME MORE OF THEM
LOVED IT. What more can I say?