Author: Kylie Scott
Genre: NA contemporary romance
Status: Book 3 of Stage Dive series
As the lead singer of Stage Dive, Jimmy is used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it, whether it’s booze, drugs, or women. However, when a PR disaster serves as a wake-up call about his life and lands him in rehab, he finds himself with Lena, a new assistant to keep him out of trouble.
Lena’s not willing to take any crap from the sexy rocker and is determined to keep their relationship completely professional, despite their sizzling chemistry. But when Jimmy pushes her too far and Lena leaves, he realizes that he may just have lost the best thing that ever happened to him.
This book is about Jimmy Ferris, Stage Dive’s lead singer and Lena, who starts out to work for him and slowly builds a relationship with him. This is written in first person POV through Lena.
This can be read as a stand-alone.
- Jimmy has a history with drugs and only recently quit, through rehab after he almost died ODing the second time. His band members hire person after person to be his companion and make sure he doesn’t crash again but Jimmy keeps driving them away.
- Lena is fired from her job in front of the band by their manager. Mal, the srummer, takes note of her zest and after a small conversation, she’s hired to be Jimmy’s companion (sorry, I don’t know the official name for it).
- As with the previous books of this series, Scott delivers a believable romance story where there is actually relationship development and no love-at-first-sitght. Sure, there’s attraction but no emotional feelings.
- At times the schedule of events, especially in the beginning, annoyed me. Whole days or a week would be skipped between scenes in the same chapter and they’ll be small scenes, too! I get it, it was to show daily life and their normal interactions but it felt disconnected and held me back from enjoying the book more.
- Jimmy has a bad history, is a good brother at heart and is closed off to everyone. He was a drug addict and sometimes really wants one shot again to cope with life and his cruel mother.
- Lena is just trying to keep herself occupied and move on from past heartbreaks and betrayals. Her sister marrying Lena’s cheating ex-boyfriend is not something she can take in a stride. Or many.
- I know the male lead here is Jimmy but I still love Mal. Just had to insert that.
- As I said before, this is not a story with insta-love or starstruck celeb love. Lena, excepting Jimmy’s physical attractiveness, is annoyed by him completely. She tolerates him just for the job and board.
- There is a very slow build-up and sometimes it made me frustrated about when we’ll be doled out some love. But, its also a believable story so big kudos for that.
A pretty story based mostly on relationship and character. Recommended if you want a new type of story.
P.S. I will not be reading the next book which is about the fourth band member Ben as I don’t like him.